SoCoNews and Sonoma County Local News Initiative come from deep journalism roots, dating back as far as 1865. Since that date, The Healdsburg Tribune (1865), Cloverdale Reveille (1879), Sonoma West Times & News (1889, The Sebastopol Times) and Windsor Times (1987) have served the local communities of north and west Sonoma County.
Prior to the incorporation of Sonoma County Local News Initiative, the four newspapers and combined news websites were owned by Sonoma West Publishers, founded in 1995. Beginning in 2020, the local news organization launched an historical transformation to move its news presentation to online (SoCoNews.org) and bring the newspapers and all operations under the ownership of the nonprofit SCLNI.
SoCoNews provides quality, independent journalism to its readers and communities and is led by a volunteer board of directors and paid staff led by a publisher, managing editor and marketing director. The office is located at 230 Center Street, Healdsburg, CA. 95448 (P.O. Box 518.) Telephon: (707) 433-4451.
Currently, The Healdsburg Tribune (Court Decree #369869, June 12, 1953) is published weekly in a print edition mailed to paid subscribers. All other local news is provided on a voluntary pay basis at the website.
The early days of the Healsburg Tribune (Healdsburg Museum archives)
The Sebastopol Times crew in 1895, six years after the paper was founded. Photo Sonoma West archive